Practitioners who represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service must have a valid Power of Attorney form (Form 2848) on file in order to access their clients’ confidential tax account information. You can always mail a F2848, but the quickest and easiest way to file is by fax. Since tax relief is typically an urgent matter, I always file by fax. Once the POA has been filed and processed at one of the three IRS “CAF Units,” it can be accessed by various IRS employees throughout the nation.
After October 1, 2012 the old fax numbers at the Ogden and Memphis centers will no longer be functional.
Ogden, UT CAF Unit
- For all states west of the Mississippi
- New fax number: (855) 214-7522
Memphis, TN CAF Unit
- For Louisiana, Arkansas, and all states east of the Mississippi
- New fax number: (855) 214-7519
Philadelphia, PA CAF Unit
- For taxpayers residing abroad
- Fax number remains the same: (267) 941-1017